Sunday, September 29, 2019

The weight of empty boxes

As I opened my freezer and picked up the box, I fully expected the weight of the sugar, fat, and general deliciousness that I had been craving would, naturally, resist my urges.

 Instead, my hand launched up to the wire bars of the shelf above it, quite possibly sustaining a bruise that would slowly develop as I stood
there and fumed.

Why doesn't anyone in the house throw out empty boxes?

 It was a rhetorical complaint that could as quickly ricochet and cover me
in sickly sweet irony.

 As if they didn't come from me - my children! Don't they know, I asked the air quite plaintively, how much of their own gratification is lost by this lazy omission to the effort of recycling?

 Don't they understand that if I knew the icy fudge-ribboned delicacies had been scarfed or the cream-filled treasure boxes had been scraped to barren that I would dutifully replace them?

Who do they think does the shopping?

OK sometimes their dad ... but he never buys the good stuff.

I'm the one buying the food that I wish they wouldn't eat and hiding it in plain sight. 

The temptations I face in the middle of the night would not weigh as heavily in the morning when I can't face the scale. 

As I stand there holding the box, letting the cold of the freezer escape, I can't help but think of younger me.

I wish I didn't know where I had tucked the dollar store cookies and the fun-sized candies to
pulverize one at a time and sprinkle on top of a mountain of ice cream. 

Oh, the rub that I should be so vexed.

Wasn't my college mini-fridge stocked with empty containers?

Milk, eggs, orange juice containers all rang hollow.

"Why don't you throw these out," asked a laughing guest with an unquenched thirst for vitamin C. 

I just shrugged my shoulders and admitted I didn't want my oft-visiting parents to notice the cupboard was bare. 

It wasn't so much that I didn't want them to worry as much as I didn't want them to judge my choices. 

The shame of which I realize I might not have outgrown.

No comments: