Sunday, August 27, 2023

Drive time

 Have you checked the mirrors? 

“Yes, mom.”


The boy was sitting in his father’s car, making the finishing adjustments on the driver’s seat. It is a slow and methodical process that requires patience. Unless one has the sequence committed to one of the car’s digital memories. 


“There are so many buttons and knobs, and they move so sllllllllooooowwly.”


As he lowered the seat and eased it backward from where I’d had it set, the whirring of the mechanisms seemed almost comical. 


I tried not to laugh. 


Driving is a serious business. 


He’s almost ready. Maybe just a titch more arch in the lumbar region. 


My car isn't that fancy. But what it lacks in bling and built-in safety features, it makes up for in precision: notably a manual transmission, which ratchets up technical (and psychological) difficulties of learning to drive at six whole speeds. 


He's ready now. He starts the car. Shifts into gear and eases off the brake. The car inches out of the carport at the speed of seat position. 


He flexes his fingers and tightens them around the wheel. “This is the way you do it, right? Ten and Two?”


That is the way we do it. But we learned on our grandfather’s clock. 


“Yeah. The new standard is to grip around 5 and 7 or 4 and 8.”


“Why? That seems too low?”


“Airbags.”


“They come out of the steering wheel?”


“And when they do they might break your arm if it gets in the way. Also, you don't have to use as much force to crank the wheel as you did in the olden days thanks to power steering.”


He’s cleared the garage and is straightening from the hard left turn into the driveway. And with the swiftness of molasses, we are heading toward the open road. 


A part of me wants to hurry this along. We might rack up the 50-hour minimum drive time required to schedule the licensing test before we get home from the ice cream run. But the part of me that understood the mission, to navigate two stop signs, three traffic lights, and one traffic circle, between the end of our drive and the grocery store five miles away, I would wear out my welcome as the passenger seat driver.  


As I had more than three years ago when his

sister rushed to the end of the driveway as she'd witnessed my counterpart in motor vehicle instruction doing countless times.


Her face tensed and her lips would disappear into a thin line as I breathlessly called suggestions and gripped the closest armrest. 


“You're too close to the shoulder …


“You should speed up here 


“Slow down there!


“Ohmygod! what-are-you-doing? You are turning into oncoming traffic!”


It took her years to get over the hassle of driving with me. 


I needed to do better this time.


Up until then, I had always loved driving my kids around. 


Whether I was toting them to their friends’ houses, doctors’ appointments, or to far “away games,” the drive has always proven to be a real trip.


I suppose it’s time to get used to being driven.


No comments: